Sunday, May 31, 2009

seitan doggie dogs




YES! Seitan Dogs!! As promised, I have created the home made veggie dog that trumps extruded paste dogs from your grocer's freezer. I made a double batch of seitan this time, half of which went to one big log for sandwich slice purposes, and the rest I rolled into mini logs for dog purposes. The seitan dough was much harder to shape than I thought. You can kind of get it into an ellipse, but the rest happens when it gets rolled into the foils.

Dan had a bag of sweet whole wheat dog buns from WW, so I toasted up a dog right out of the oven for added crispiness, along with the bun. I was set to put all kinds of fussy toppings on there, but he said hot dogs should only be topped with mustard and ketchup, which was a good point. I still couldn't completely help myself, and served it in an origami-ed wax paper carriage.

Addendum: I was really proud of this photo. I shot it on a white countertop, lit by the stove light at a very fast film speed and shallow depth of field. It only required a little color correction.

4 comments:

  1. am i a bad food-itarian for having NO idea what seitan is? my guess is some sort of ... tofu or something. is it tasty? i'm guessing it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, i should have explained. it's seasoned wheat gluten that can be made into wannabe meat items. i'll add on a wikipedia link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps: notice that "food" is in parentheses in the wpedia def

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you share the recipe? I'd love to try this.

    ReplyDelete