Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Component meal: bbq tofu, fiddle head ferns, kale, mashed yams



What I like to call a component meal is basically a bunch of things in little homogeneous piles on a plate. What I did here was some sauteed kale, steamed fiddleheads, bbq tofu, and mashed yams (not pictured) -- oh sorry. Sweet potoatoes!

I don't know why bbq tofu is so awesome. I used the primo sauce in my mom's fridge (living at home fridge access benefit) called Hoboken Eddies. Some of you should know what I'm talking about. Lately I have been really into doing triangles instead of cubes for tofu. Don't ask me why. I think it might just be really satisfying to do them this way. First, cut a grid in all directions so that you have little rectangular prisms, still composed in the original tofu block form. Then cut diagonally through the stacks in one direction, going through the corners of each square-face.

Tofu gets seared in a very hot pan, then sauced. I sauteed the kale in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Doesn't need much more than that. Fiddleheads are also delicious almost naked. Just steamed up with some lemon juice squeezed on top and then tossed. Mashed sweet potatoes are a great alternative to regular mashed potatoes because they are healthier and taste great without too much stuff mashed in, which is where the butter/margarine/salt intake can get out of hand. All that went in was maybe a dot of olive oil and a little fresh pepper.

4 comments:

  1. i dont know how i feel about eating fern wheels. they look a lot like bugs. or like shrimps before they've been shelled. ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. today i explained the difference between yams and sweet potatoes to my coworker! thanks for the lesson, dan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fern wheels!! haha. they are delish. taste just like asparagus. promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm fiddlehead ferns. Always remind me of "eating from nature" books I read as a kid. My Side Of The Mountain, anyone? Stalking The Wild Asparagus. Maybe they got a shout-out in Hatchet, too?

    ReplyDelete