Sunday, December 27, 2009

recipe minimalism

I made my own tomato sauce. I hate tomatoes. I respect tomato sauce conceptually, but have only met one or two versions that didn't make me gag or at least where I could hold off picking around for the first few bites. As I've gotten older, I've grown out of my childhood preference for perfectly smooth sauces that are basically watered down tomato paste, which don't cut it texture-wise, though they do have the advantage of not having any offensive tomato pieces or skins.
I decided now that I don't have 20398542 things to do every second of every day, I could try to tackle this thing in a responsible way. Basically, I made my own sauce and it was pretty great. The end.

Part of the reason for this sauce story is that when I was puttering around the house running this entry in my head, it occurred to me that, much is the style here generally, transmitting a recipe on a blog for people who already know how to cook doesn't require much more than a list of ingredients and cooking method. Variation is inevitable whether ther is a proper recipe or not, but personally, I end up changing it anyway (unless it's dessert/baking). Sooooo, I was flipping through this guy recently:

The recipes are paragraphs outlining what's in the dish and anything notable about the process. For people who are into cooking and reading about cooking in this way, check out this and everything else that Mark Bittman ever does. I remember reading in one of his "101" recipes collections a "recipe" that was something like "take x and wrap it in bacon."

No comments:

Post a Comment