Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Butchering a chicken, part two (as in not really)

I never got around to butchering the chicken, and it's currently resting in its entirety in the freezer.  I will definitely try to record the process - although it may be too embarrassing to want to share.

I was recently gifted an iPhone as a belated birthday/Christmas gift, and let me tell you - I am pretty amazed at the photo quality/video.  That being said, I did record a video of a sitting potato au gratin.  Listen to the beautiful soundtrack of steaks sizzling!

p.s. did you know Le Creuset calls this casserole dish an Oval Au Gratin?  So fancy.  Thanks, Marshall's!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I am wondering if a good way to start, if you have never done this, is to practice on a simple grocery store whole fryer, and cut it into the traditional breast-thigh-drumstick-wing pieces. Then you can graduate to eviscerating, decapitating, defeathering, etc. My grandmother used to butcher chickens for soup. Then she would take the neck skin, stuff it with breadcrumbs and make a traditional Jewish dish called "helzel." The unhatched tiny eggs would wind up in the soup, a special treat. I would often see her gnawing on the feet; that was her special treat. What she did with the rest I never wanted to know. Good luck, Diane (Meredith and Ben's mom)

    ReplyDelete